Mr. President, Donald Trump

Sarah Fish, Reporter

“I’ve done a lot of big things, I’ve never done anything like this. It is so big, it is so– it’s so enormous, it’s so amazing.” As Donald Trump was celebrating his election he ensured the people of the United States of America that he would reach a common good for all Americans. He knows that the 18 month long journey of vague promises and debates where each candidate tore each other apart has split this country into two. Donald Trump told Americans that his positions and opinions taken throughout the campaign changed and were not supposed to be taken literally. Trump wants to accomplish three things immediately; healthcare, immigration issues, and a major tax bill that will lower taxes. The question is: Will Trump make a significant difference in this country and unify what has been torn apart?

With the Republicans running the presidency, the House of Representatives, and the Senate, this gives President Donald Trump a great deal of power to get his ideas up and running. Healthcare is one of Trump’s main priorities as he gets settled into the White House.

“Every American deserves access to high quality [and] affordable health care, not just insurance,” Trump said. “America needs a patient-centered health care system, allowing families and their doctors to be primary decision makers.”

As stated in many speeches during his campaign, Trump will most likely succeed to repeal Obamacare. He is going to try and give Americans something that is far less expensive than what the current cost of running Obamacare is now.

The issue of illegal immigration has been a main topic this election year and many Americans liked Trump’s strong view on this issue which affects the entire world. Trump pledged to deport millions of illegal immigrants.

“What we are going to do is get the people that have criminal records, gang members, drug dealers, we have a lot of these people, probably two million, even three million, we are getting them out of our country, that are here illegally.” Trump said. He also states not to be afraid, the country is going to become secure and we will be able to succeed as a nation.

The major tax bill is the third issue President Donald Trump wants to get done as soon as he reaches the Oval Office. His plan consists of reducing taxes across the board, especially for working and middle income Americans who will receive a major reduction. Trump also plans on making sure the rich pay their share of taxes, but no one will pay so much that it destroys their economic status. He wants to create new opportunities and make our economy stronger. Recent polls determined that, on average, taxpayers will receive a tax cut of $1,818 under the Trump plan. Under this tax plan, he is going to increase the economy and create new jobs.

Before Trump could step into the Oval Office, his transition team had to fill the new administration team with 4,000 political appointees which is 4,000 new hires in just nine weeks. Right after his election, Trump changed the head of his transition team from Governor Chris Christie to Vice President Mike Pence. He was in charge of selecting cabinet officials along with the 4,000 new appointees.

The transition team is very important for the country as having a smooth transition will make sure there are no economic downfalls or times of crisis while the new President steps in.

Right after the election, then President-Elect Trump spoke about how the enormity of him being elected was just sinking in. Realizing his position now, he is learning to temper his words and how Twitter along with other social media outlets are a great form of communication. He does not regret what he has said in past tweets and credits social media for his successful win.

“I won,” Trump said, “I think that social media has more power than the money [my opponents] spent, and I think maybe to a certain extent, I proved that.”

As Donald Trump settles into the Oval Office, he wants to make sure he creates a better country while reuniting all of us once again. Healthcare, immigration, and the major tax bill is very important for our country and specifically to our economy. As the Republicans have the Presidency, the Senate, and the House of Representatives, a lot can get done. The people all have to come together to make this nation great again. The United States can never achieve the country we want to live in if we are split into two.